17 November 2010

Cancer.
It's crazy how that one little word can turn your world upside
down in a second. How it can make you want to throw up the minute you hear it. I think it's the ugliest word in the english language. I can not begin to imagine how my little sister and brother in-law felt when they heard those words Saturday morning. It's been a roller coaster week. It started out as what doctors thought was a gallstone but turned out not to be, which led to a CT scan and the discovery of a tumor in the pancreas and spots on his liver. The biopsy results came back showing malignancy with a diagnosis of stage 4 Pancreatic cancer. He is only 25. This type of cancer is pretty much unheard of in someone his age. Needless to say we are all in shock. Prayers are greatly appreciated. I feel like I am having a bad dream and that eventually I will wake up, but I don't. I feel like I have been punched in the stomach. We remain hopefully, but also realize the seriousness of his condition. All of my medical knowledge feels like a curse at this point, but I know that I have it to help in this situation. I have shed so many tears but try to remain strong and trust that God has it all in control. Times like these are when I realize how thankful I am for my family and my faith. Without those things, times like these are unbearable.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Praying for you, Adam, Elizabeth, and your family.

C.G. Koens said...

We continue to pray for Adam and Elizabeth and your family.