03 December 2011

The Best Things in Life are Free

I am, as most of you know, a major bargain hunter. My philosophy is why pay full price if you don't have to? On occasion, I am drawn to certain expensive items and have to get creative in order to get what I like without shelling out the full amount. Sometimes that means a lot of online hunting to find a deal. Sometimes it means asking for the item or money towards the item for a birthday or Christmas. Sometimes it means getting it slightly used on eBay. This time in meant cashing in some of my stashed up credit card bonus points. I hadn't made any major withdraws from my points in a while, and since I pay for practically everything with my credit card (which I pay off in full every month), I rack up points pretty quickly. The item I really wanted was not available in the rewards center, but fortunately Citicard has a "my reward wish" request center where you submit what you want and they let you know how many points it will take to get your special order item. Pretty great if you ask me. So are you curious as to what I got? The wait is almost over :)
When I arrived home today after a somewhat frustrating afternoon at the hospital, I found this on my front porch
And inside was this

And inside that beautiful box were these babies:) 
My new glorious purple Hunter boots!!!!!!!!!
I have wanted a pair of Hunter rain boots for some time now, but just could not justify paying $125 for them. I have looked and looked for a deal, but did not have any luck finding one. Or if I did, it wasn't the color I wanted or they were out of my size. I had kind of given up on getting a pair. 
A few weeks ago I thought I had finally found them on 6pm.com (Zappos sister site with some really awesome deals and free shipping on all orders) for $69, but they did not have my size. I was very disappointed and that was when I got the bright idea to check in to using my reward points to acquire these lovely boots. I couldn't be happier with my new boots. I'm even wishing for rain/snow so I have an excuse to wear them! 

4 comments:

Erika said...

Oh my gosh! So cute! I love the color.

I always choose to just get a check back from my credit card points. I've never actually looked into the stuff I could get with my points. I'm going to have to. Very impressive!

Rachel said...

Thanks. I turn my points in to gift cards a lot too. One year I got all the ones I needed for Christmas with points. The return is sometimes better than getting cash back.

C.G. Koens said...

Love those boots - hooray for reward points! We did a bunch of our Christmas shopping with the Amazon cash we earned back - perfect for us since we shop Amazon so much anyway. And hello! I've never even heard of 6PM.com - going to have to check that out for sure! :-) Glad you got your boots!

Erika said...

P.S. You have an award on my blog. Hope you don't mind. I just happen to love reading your blog :)