22 January 2007

Three Cheers for Walmart!

Today the new Walmart in Ooltewah opened, and I couldn't be happier. It's exactly 1.2 miles from my house, which may actually be a little too convinent. In case you were wondering, yes I've already visited it. It's fantastic. The aisle are wide enough that 2 carts can fit down them with room to spare. Everything is bright, open, well labeled, and organized in a way that actually makes sense. The only down side of the new store is no self check out lanes. I was a bit bummed about that since that's how I prefer to checkout.
I know that a lot of people out there hate Walmart, but I love it. It's capitalism at it's best. When a Walmart opens, it provided lots of jobs and enriches the local economy. I've heard the rumors that they don't always treat their employees well, but lets face it, there are plenty of companies that treat their employees like crap. Not that I think that's okay, I'm just saying. I love that I can get everything with one stop at a good price. I also think it's great that they honor advertisements from other stores. Plus there's the whole open 24 hours thing, which means when I get off work at 2am I can go grocery shopping if I want. Walmart can offer things and prices that no one else can because of their widespread success. For example their $4 generic prescription plan for people without insurance. How great is that?!?!? Because of this Walmart can drive market forces and help to lower the costs of medication across the board. It's exactly what healthcare needs. There's also talk of Walmart starting clinics in their stores which I'm personally all for. So Walmart will continue to get my business for now, at least until they open a Super Target in Ooltewah! :)

3 comments:

lisa said...

Yeah... I do think Walmart does some good for the economy but whatever they do good they do equally as bad. I would be more of their advocate if they paid their people and gave them decent benefits.
Tim is all about them right now, he got an incredible deal on tires. And, I LOVE their southwestern black bean salsa!!!

Kel said...

Wal-Mart... UGH! :)

f1rststory said...

well, i don't go there too often, but now we have 2! 2 super wal-marts within 5 miles of each other. ridiculous. and the new sam's is almost done too. crazy.