20 March 2008

Driving Habits

I have road rage. I know this. Most people who know me know this. I went to Chattanooga for a few days at the beginning of this week to check on my townhouse, which is still for sale, and visit with some friends. And of course during my interstate driving time, the road rage came out in full force. I don't know why I get so upset when I drive, but I do. I don't cuss very much, but when I'm behind the wheel the words just fly out of my mouth. I promise it's like someone or something takes over my body. I love to drive fast. I'm not sure why, but it's such a thrill for me. I'm convinced my car was made to go 80-85mph, really that's where it's most comfortable. I like rules, limits, and absolutes. Normally I'm a stickler for following rules, except for when it comes to speeding. I know that in all honesty, I'm breaking the law, but when I speed I don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong. Maybe it's because I think that in most cases the speed limit is too low and that speed is not necessarily a function of your driving abilities. There are plenty of people out there who drive the speed limit (and under it!) that are horrible drivers. A lot of them are more of a traffic hazard than those of us who choose to push the upper limits of speed. :) I still can't figure out where my "need for speed" came from though. I'm a very competitive person, but it's not like I feel the need to be the fastest driver on the road. If someone comes up behind me gong faster than I am, I will gladly get out of their way (a courtesy I wish other drivers would follow!) I think that you can be a fast driver, and still be a very good driver. I obey all other traffic rules. I use my turn signal, move to the left lane when others are trying to merge, I don't cut people off, and I don't tailgate unnecessarily. I know that at some point I will probably get a ticket, and I'd like to tell you that it will stop me from speeding, but it won't.

1 comment:

Mel62blue said...

haha!! Rachel, I understand!! I may not be AS speedy as I once was (due to the ticket I received)...but there's definatley something about driving fast...almost a sense of adventure