10 March 2008

What Happened to Spring Break?

Ahh, it's that time of year again, Spring Break. A whole week off to relax, catch up on sleep, hang out with friends, travel, or do whatever you want. I miss that week. As an "adult" with a "real job" that wonderful week is just a distant memory. Why is that? The concept of Spring Break is great, but why limit it to students and teachers? I think it should be extended to all adults. You might be thinking that if everyone was on vacation, everything would shut down and stop, but it could be a staggered thing like the school systems do. I think most adults that work a full time job could use a break that doesn't cut into their regular vacation time. I know I could!
I have some great memories from Spring Breaks past. There was the year of the blizzard (1993) where we got a ton of snow and the power was out for days that probably ranks as the most memorable Spring Break for me as a child. In high school, I got to travel to Europe and Charleston, both of which were great trips. In college, I went to Peru to do medical missions and back to Europe again for an "educational" trip. I think my favorite trip though, was the one that I took in PA school with my roomies from college. Went to Paris for a week, just the 3 of us. There was no schedule, no tour guide, and no one telling us where to be and what time to be there. It was wonderful. We got a chance to see what we wanted and we didn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to do it. It was fun, relaxing, and I came home with the best souvenir. (For those of you who may not be aware, this is the trip when I got my first tattoo). I will always remember and cherish that trip. Mostly, because that was my last Spring Break. So for all of you that get the week off, enjoy and treasure these times, because all too soon for the majority of you, Spring Break will be just a distant memory.

2 comments:

Dawgfan said...

I AGREE! You make me wanna go on a trip! We should get a group together and go somewhere- I prefer somewhere warm with fruity drinks!

Robin said...

I miss Spring Break too! I need a beach!!!