26 October 2010

Groundhog Day

So yeah, I have a groundhog living in my basement. He dug himself a little tunnel in and set up his bachelor pad in the middle of my basement. I was pretty sure that he was living there, but had not fully investigated the situation until yesterday. I had seen him in the backyard several times and had noticed a hole at the corner of my house that the dogs sniff around a lot. I gathered up some courage yesterday and went down to the basement to check things out. I did not see him (probably a good thing cause I think that would have totally freaked me out!), but saw plenty of evidence of him.
I am not interested in being a landlord or adding a new member to the family, so I need to find a way to evict him. In my quest to rid myself of this pesky house guest, I have learned quite a bit about groundhogs.
  • They are herbivores, but will eat some bugs.
  • When cornered, they can be rather feisty. 
  • Evidently in this area to trap them, you have to have a permit. Animal Control has provided me with the name of three men who have said permits.
  • The groundhog in my basement appears to be packing on the pounds for the winter. He is quite chubby.
  • Groundhogs are hard to get rid off.
  • It is illegal to fire a gun in the city limits and to have a silencer for said gun.
  • Several of my friends own dogs that are good at hunting and killing various animals.
  • Ground hogs hibernate (hence my hurry to get rid of it as I do not want a guest for the winter).
  • The gestation period for groundhogs is only 32 days.
  • There is a ground hog living in Ontario named Wiarton Willie and he is 22 years old.
  • Groundhogs can climb over a short fence.
  • And that's what I've learned so far.
I hope to be serving an eviction notice soon. Maybe I'll get to meet someone like Billy the Exterminator during this fun little adventure. Stay tuned for updates.

4 comments:

Erika said...

Oh no! Definitely not the kind of tenet you want in your house. Just don't corner it, you don't want to confront a feisty groundhog :)

Tasha said...

My favorite post EVER!! Totally laughed out loud. Btw, my parents and I spent a whole afternoon one Sunday watching Billy. We literally could not stop.

Unknown said...

oh' they are really good with mashed taters and corn on the Cobb..... yum yum yum.......

Unknown said...

I know I'm very late on this but you are hilarious. I love you.