08 November 2010

Really Random

It's that time again folks. Time for me to clear out all the random thoughts out my head and post them on my blog for all to read and hopefully get a few laughs out of. I must confess I keep a list, because I don't want to deprive anyone of the amusement that my inner monologue might provide. This also includes random things that have happened that don't qualify for their own post. So with out further delay.....
  • I peeled and chopped my first onion a couple of weeks ago. And I survived. I have a strong dislike for onions and am very sensitive to the smell so my eyes go crazy. Even scallions bother my eyes. I managed though and it was well worth it because the white chicken chili it made it's way into was amazing.
  • This was on the sticker in my new Rachael Ray 9x13 pan: "Keep small children away from the oven while you are baking. Some pets, especially birds, have extremely sensitive respiratory systems and should be kept away from the kitchen area."
  • I gave candy out to trick-or-treaters for the first time ever this year. I myself have never been trick-or-treating.
  • I am running the Turkey Trot this year. It's a 5K on Thanksgiving morning. It's my first 5K
  • I am also hosting Thanksgiving for the first time. There will be 15 people at my house. I have visions of my turkey turning out like the one in Christmas Vacation.
  • Sweet potatoes are my new favorite thing. I thought I didn't like them, but am convinced that I had one that was not cooked well and it turned me off. I think I could eat them until I turn orange. The best ones I have had so far came from the stand across from Fender's Farm.
  • Our church is part of a social network site called The City. The other day it told me that approximately 2 other people were on line.
  • Currently you can try out a Barnes & Noble membership for free for 2 months. It includes free expedited shipping. That means free shipping for Christmas presents, plus good discounts.
  • I made pumpkin bread for the first time last week. I randomly decided I want to make some last week at 9pm. Good thing I had pumpkin on hand. The random recipe from the internet turned out very well. I'd like to send a thanks to whoever's grandmother provided it.
  • If anyone else is trying to be diligent about running and the cold weather is making that difficult, I recommend Danskin running tights from Walmart. They are $11. I bought a pair, ran in them, and went back and bought 2 more pairs the same evening. Yes, they're that good.
Ok, enough randomness for now. I'm working on a Christmas post of really random things so stayed tuned. Hope you got a few laughs or at least some useful info from my brain. 

2 comments:

Erika said...

Can I say that I absolutely love your random thoughts posts? They are wonderful!

1. I hate chopping onions too. I also hate to eat them because I hate their texture, but I like their taste... I omit onions from all recipes and use the dried, minced onions that come from the spice section of the grocery store. It tastes the same without all the hassle and crunchiness.
2. I'm super impressed with your running. I tried it a few times and hate it. It makes me feel like I'm dying.
3. I think you will totally pull off Thanksgiving dinner! Do you have a turkey roaster already? That has made Thanksgiving dinner prep easier for me. It lets your turkey cook off the side, while you use your oven for everything else (unless of course you have an amazing two-ovened kitchen, in which case I am so jealous).
4. Someone told me the other day that sweet potato pie tastes a lot like pumpkin pie but is healthier. Do you think that is true? Or have you tried it?
5. Thanks for the Barnes and Noble tip. Guess where I'm going to do a lot of my Christmas shopping?

Rachel said...

I'm glad someone enjoys my crazy posts. Thanks for the vote of confidence on Thanksgiving. In my dream kitchen, that happens to exist at my friend Karen's house, there are 2 ovens, but only one in my current kitchen :) I have not tried sweet potato pie, but I'm not a pumpkin pie fan. Might give it a go though.