30 October 2011

Fall Fun

Well fall is here in full force. It's been down right cold the past 2 days, but prior to that we have enjoyed some beautiful weather here in the mountains of East TN. I love fall so much and have actually found the time to enjoy it this year even in the midst of a lot of busyness and wrestling with what I want out of my life. Here's what I've been up to lately:

  • Last weekend was absolutely gorgeous and I had a quiet call weekend so I drove out to Fender's Farm and the surrounding stands to get some fall produce. I stocked up on sweet potatoes, apples, and of course pumpkins! It was nice to enjoy the sunshine and fall colors. 
  • I have discovered the wonderful world that is Pinterest, and I have to admit I am obsessed! It has so many wonderful things; from tasty treats to craft projects to funny quotes. I have spent way too much time surfing around checking out all the "pins". I have been inspired by some of the things I have seen and as a result have been quite crafty lately. 
  • The pumpkins acquired on my trip to the farmer's market combined with an idea I saw on Pinterest resulted in the following craft project. I got my big pumpkin for only $5 and the little ones for a $1 each! They made for some pretty inexpensive fall decorations.
  • I've got some 5Ks coming up soon, so I've been running regularly lately and trying to get back in to shape. I was doing really well, and then I went to Mexico and got sick when I came home. That set me back a little bit, but I'm back on track now and training hard. In 2 weeks I'm running in Chattanooga at the Purple Strides Pancreatic Cancer Awareness 5K on Saturday. Then on Sunday I'm doing the Speedway in Lights Children's Charity 5k. And of course I'm signed up for the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. Last weekend I also participated in the Susan G Komen Race for the Cure (just walked this one). This is me and my Specials girls wearing our PINK last Friday for National Wear Pink Day. 



  • This weekend I made a fall wreath that was inspired by Pinterest. The original project called for styrofoam balls, but they are costly and I didn't want to end up spending a fortune on a craft project. So I brainstormed with some fellow crafty friends, did some looking around, and finally found some cheap plastic wiffle balls at Target in various sizes that made a great substitute. Here's the finished project:


  • And because no fall is complete without some pumpkin baking, this week I made Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Spice Cream Cheese Frosting , and if I do say so myself, they are to die for. The best part is they are healthy! Guilt free fall goodness? Yes please!  


    • 1 comment:

      C.G. Koens said...

      You're a running fiend! Way to go! Also, I still think those cupcakes look amazing...yum!! I've got to get some pumpkin bread made before fall is totally gone!