01 December 2006

Christmas Time

As I am sure you are all aware, today is December 1st, which to me means the offical start of the Christmas season. I know a lot of people put up trees and start playing Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving, but for me 25 days of the season are plenty so I hold off until December starts. I plan to get my tree today and decorate it. I'm excited about having a real tree this year. It seems like such a small thing, but I love that Christmas tree smell and due to fire codes in my apartment last year I couldn't have a real one and had to settle for pine sent from a candle. Not quite the same effect. So if the real tree causes a fire this year, I'll just have to count on the home owner's insurance because I'm having one. I personally don't see them as that big of a fire hazard. My family always has a real tree and we have left the lights on more times than I can possibly count and so far no fire. I must say the Christmas tree all ablaze does create an image that makes me chuckle a little. I know, I have a twisted sense of humor.
Christmas is probably my favorite holiday. I think I really realized this last year when I had to work and didn't get to celebrate with my family. I really missed the traditions that my family has. None of them are that big of a deal, just things like certain foods we always eat on Christmas Eve, the Christmas morning photo in which we all look like we just rolled out of bed (last years photo wins for the best in that category), going to my Granny's on Christmas day, the birthday cake we have for Jesus, and a few other little things. I even missed the Christmas breakfast casserole that I don't really like, but eat every year because it's tradition. The thing I missed the most was going to church on Christmas Eve. There's something about singing Silent Night with the lights out and candles lit, that makes me realize the true meaning of Christmas. I think this year Christmas means a little more to me because I missed out last year. In a way I'm glad I worked last year because it made me realize that for it really isn't about the presents and all that. It's the family traditions and being together that makes the holiday for me.

1 comment:

lisa said...

I love the christmas services! It puts everything in perspective.

I love breakfast casseroles too. Well, I love almost all casseroles ;)