27 July 2010

Nose Plugs

Ok, so I promise to try my best not to gross anyone out with this little adventure of mine, but 5 plus years in the medical field has made it a little difficult to discern what qualifies as gross or too personal. I forget that what I find interesting or might discuss at the dinner table, others get faint or nauseous just thinking about. So you've had your warning. I promise this experience of mine isn't too bad, but in case you don't agree, proceed with caution!
I've been sick for over a week now with the sinus, earache, sore throat, headache crud, and I am miserable. Thanks to this wonderful little heart condition of mine, Sudafed is completely out of the questions leaving me with a very few medications to relieve my symptoms. I've pretty much tried them all. I've sucked on numerous cough drops and hard candy, slathered on plenty of Vics Vapor rub, gargled with salt water (almost chocking to death at one point), taken enough naproxen and motrin to give me a stomach ulcer, and my face practically has frost bite from my sinus mask.  But alas, none of this is helping. Not even a little. I have become a mouth breather (which I hate) and constantly have this horrible drainage taste in my mouth. Nothing tastes good and all salty, spicy, acidic, and rough foods are out as my throat does not appreciate them. I'm sick of it.
So, last night I decided to give in and brave the saline nasal spray. Many people claim it's great and will really clear things out. For most people this probably doesn't seem like a big deal, it is just salt water after all. But to me it's a big deal. I'm not really sure why, but I hate things up my nose (this applies to my ears as well). I don't use nasal sprays (partly because some moron decided to make them floral scented which adds to the allergies), Qtips, Zicam, or anything that involves my nostrils and "up". The idea of having my nose pierced weirds me out more than I can tell you. I don't even like to blow my nose. Yes, I realize this is strange, but hey it's me. I had strep in my nose as a child and had to have my nose cultured, and I think it scarred me for life. Heaven help anyone who tries to get a flu swab or insert an NG tube on me. I will need sedation. However, I was so miserable last night I broke down and decided to go for the nasal spray. It couldn't be that bad right? Wrong!!!! I layed down on the couch to administer the spray because I knew I'd never convince myself to inhale the stuff. I literally drop 2 drops into my right nostril and I immediately think I'm going to die. It burns, makes my eyes water, causes me to gag, and then I taste it going down the back of my throat and I think I'm going to throw up. It was horrible. My nose and throat continued to burn for the next few hours and I couldn't get rid of the taste. Needless to say, the nasal spray is now residing in the trash can, never to come near my nose again. So for now, I continue to be a mouth breather and pray this passes quickly. Tomorrow is my birthday and since no one should be sick on their birthday, I'm praying for complete healing over night. Feel free to join me!

No comments: